9/19/2003 4:42:35 PM
Lynchburg, VA–To acknowledge the long-time support of a major corporate sponsor, Randolph-Macon Woman's College has dedicated SunTrust Plaza on its Lynchburg campus.
R-MWC has had an ongoing relationship with SunTrust Bank or its predecessors for more than 25 years, and SunTrust has made numerous gifts to the College, including a contribution to its current capital campaign.
The newly named plaza is at the intersection of three buildings–West and Wright Halls and Smith Memorial Building–which house dormitory rooms, Smith Hall Theatre, classrooms, and faculty offices. It is one of the busiest intersections on campus.
In dedicating the plaza, R-MWC President Kathleen Gill Bowman noted that SunTrust (then United Virginia Bank) provided the initial tax-free loan to finance the College's capital improvement program in 1985. SunTrust has also been the administrator and investment manager of the College's life income funds since 1999 and is currently the trustee for R-MWC's Series 2000 and 2003 bonds.
Founded in 1891, R-MWC is a liberal arts and sciences college with an enrollment of 760. Last year the College was one of only 16 institutions nationwide to be honored for the internationalization of its campus. It was also the only women's college chosen.
CONTACT: Brenda Edson, Director of Communications